Go Back   Internet Business Forums > Money & accounts

Old 16-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #11
Lindove

Default Re: More merchants should use Paypal

Hi Everyone! Newcomer here.

It is a relief to hear nice things about paypal. I have heard so many bad things as of late I have been hesitant on using them as my online processor.
I am just starting up and have been researching different options yet in my opinion Paypal seems to be the one I would like to use.
Thanks
Lin
Lindove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 01:43 AM   #12
Mike C

Personally, I haven't come upon any problems with PayPal, beside the random flagging of accounts but that's a security precaution. Other than that, they've been a joy.
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 10:44 AM   #13
Brian Turner
Business Guru

Hi Lindove, and welcome to Platinax.

Heard a lot of horror stories about Paypal myself, and though I've had a couple of technical issues with the service, I've never had them try to take money from me.

I suspect a lot of the bad press around Paypal originates from people trying to abuse the service - not least under-18's signing up and then having their account cancelled once Paypal finds out.
Brian Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2006, 06:48 AM   #14
missinquisit

One of the main reasons sites don't use paypal is because it makes it a little difficult for people who are new to online shopping to pay for their items through escrow. They may have changed since a couple years ago, but as far as I know, paypal does not let you use your account when you first sign up. Its a complicated process and lengthy. You have to enter your credit card or something for a small amount and then wait until your statement comes (could be a month later) and locate a number next to the transaction, go back on paypal enter the number and then you can do it. so paypal yes, is awesome but a big market for many companies right now is new online shoppers, as many people surprisingly are and paypal is another deterrent for them to act in the moment and just impulse buy like the companies want them to do.
missinquisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #15
Brian Turner
Business Guru

Paypal does still have a verification process for those looking to receive monies via Paypal - but so far as I'm aware, buyers don't need a Paypal account at all, and get use Paypal to pay for goods or services, without having a Paypal account.
Old 19-05-2006, 06:15 AM   #16
thehost

Most of the account of paypal are still unverified though it is so popular. If you have papal account you need to have an alternate option too otherwise you might loss sales from some of the customers those who dont use credit card. My some of friend use paypal and chronopay both together those who are based in Europe.
thehost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #17
RozLyons

People don't realize that there's a massive problem using PayPal if there is a problem with the goods when they arrive or if they don't arrive. You are not protected by the Consumer Credit Act like you are for other credit card transactions if you use Paypal. In fact, PayPal gives very little consumer protection - only for EBay transactions. Just most of us dont read the small print! Paypal has become the market leader despite huge numbers of dissatisfied customers - very strange!
RozLyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #18
Quetelet

PayPal has become the market leader due to being owned and unfairly touted by eBay, resulting in a huge amount of fraud. I dislike PayPal intensely, especially as they moved their European address to Luxembourg which means that they cannot be regulated by the Financial Ombudsman Bureau.
Quetelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #19
Brian Turner
Business Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozLyons View Post
People don't realize that there's a massive problem using PayPal if there is a problem with the goods when they arrive or if they don't arrive. You are not protected by the Consumer Credit Act like you are for other credit card transactions if you use Paypal. In fact, PayPal gives very little consumer protection - only for EBay transactions. Just most of us dont read the small print! Paypal has become the market leader despite huge numbers of dissatisfied customers - very strange!
The Consumer Credit Act applies regardless as to which company is involved.

As a precaution, though, pay via your credit card through Paypal to avoid disappointment.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #20
webcreationuk

Until now, PayPal is almost the best payment gate out there.And widely used. And safe. Those horror stories are written by kids fooled by someone on eBay perhaps that seek revenge.
webcreationuk is offline   Reply With Quote