Go Back   Internet Business Forums > Search Engine Optimisation

Old 06-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
steven12

Default Re: directory listings

I disagree with the point that you should never pay towards a directory, especially given the quality of Yahoo's directory. It is true that you should be concentrating on directories that are specifically relevant to your website though.
steven12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
PeteS
Just ask

A new thought on Directories. Yes, join the major ones but the new way for the larger company is to own and operate your own Directory. I started one this last week, and it is already Google listed.

The idea.

Start a company Directory with categories which are suitable, and then add all your agents, distributors and re-sellers into this Directory. As everybody is linked together and selling your companies product the extra exposure and sales, could be worth the effort. What do you think?

Regards

Drachsi
PeteS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
awebsolution
Business Forums

dir links still have some weight in terms of seo, also do not have that much weight as they were 5 years before.
awebsolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
intmktr
Internet Marketer

Directories aren't as useful as they used to be in general, but they shouldn't be ignored altogether. I've found they do still help in getting a site ranked and I continue to use them to some extent with new and even older sites.
intmktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #15
PeteS
Just ask

Let's face it. We have very little control on how the search engines, index, and build the results. I heard somewhere you needed at least 1,000 top quality links to even be of interest. The best way is still to update your website, build sitemaps and post to Blogs and hope.

Drachsi
Old 01-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
ricwood

I don't know about most of the free directories but you should try and get a listing with the open directory project ([www dmoz org). I say try as it can be tricky to get your listing excepted, but google does take notice of any website listed here.
ricwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #17
RyanBTBizDirect
Twitter @BTBizDirect

I have just launched a new blog and will be looking for guest bloggers and readers. What do you recommend is the best way to go about this? It has a small business and IT focus...
RyanBTBizDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #18
RyanBTBizDirect
Twitter @BTBizDirect

You can find the blog at you wanted to have a look and give me some feedback! Thanks in advance.
RyanBTBizDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #19
pete_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
Start a company Directory with categories which are suitable, and then add all your agents, distributors and re-sellers into this Directory. As everybody is linked together and selling your companies product the extra exposure and sales, could be worth the effort. What do you think?
Yes, it's a great idea. Particularly since it offers value to your customers (as well as providing relevant links to your partner businesses).

That kind of vertical niche directory is still useful for SEO. In my opinion there's nothing special about directories that Google doesn't like - it's the ones that don't have a focus, and tend to link to any website regardless of quality that are Google are against.
pete_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #20
PeteS
Just ask

I have posted about this elsewhere, but the idea is that you own your own Directory to show and link to your global agents and distributors, and they link to you. This is a closed network which benefits everybody and elevates your keywords.

PeteS