Go Back   Internet Business Forums > General

Old 24-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
Tork UK

Default Hand hygiene in the work place facts

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well, I thought would share some interesting facts regarding hand hygiene within the work place.

28% of people forget to wash the backs of their hands
89% of people forget to wash their wrists
26% of people forget to wash their palms
-------------
There were 258,000 sick days in Great Britain in 2007
-------------
Not drying your hands properly spreads bacteria 1000 times as much when compared to dry hands
-------------
Blow dryers can actually spread germs and take longer than paper towels which means people can often leave before they have actually dried there hands.

Hope you found those little facts interesting.

Tom at Tork UK
Tork UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
chocolaterolo

Default Re: Hand hygiene in the work place facts

abbachem.co.uk or redrob.co.uk sell hygiene products for the catering industry. no such thing as a dodgy curry, dirty hands more like. Notice at my work says wash hands, dry them and then turn off the tap with the paper towel. Most people wash hands and turn off dirty tap with clean hands. Washing hands regularly, especially before eating finger food like sandwiches and crisps reduces your risks of colds and flu.
chocolaterolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
RyanBTBizDirect
Twitter @BTBizDirect

Some great stats there. Thanks for the share!
RyanBTBizDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
awebsolution
Business Forums

thanks for the post, learned a lot from it
awebsolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
Neve

Recently in the newpapers I've seen a report by the World Health Organization on the rising problem of superbugs. Currently 25,000 people in the EU die each year from these type of infections and this is expected to increase considerably.
Neve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neve View Post
Recently in the newpapers I've seen a report by the World Health Organization on the rising problem of superbugs. Currently 25,000 people in the EU die each year from these type of infections and this is expected to increase considerably.
There was an interesting article/comment I saw just yesterday about how many hospital workers still don't carry about basic practices when it comes to hygiene (Montreal Gazette, 7th April). It is very worrying given the current problems with superbugs.
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Neve

Interesting article, I mean a training in infection-control procedures is useful but I'm not sure that's enough... People has to change their hygienic habits in the everyday life and maybe then they'll improve their hygiene in the work place.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Neve

Default The fight against the hospital superbug

"For years doctors have been all too aware of the dangers posed by superbugs – infections picked up in hospitals. In the UK it is thought around one in 10 people contracts an infection like that". An interesting report from Euronews.

Last edited by Neve; 11-04-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
monaghan

about 30% of people already have MRSA, they just don't know it as it is "safe" when living on unbroken skin. The problem comes when the bacteria gain entry to the body via broken skin as the bacteria are resistant to most of the common antibiotics.

Prevention is the key thing, hence why most hospitals have massively increased the MRSA screening process.

What the hospital can't control is those who are not patients bringing it in with them. There are often hand washes available at the entrances to wards, but how many visitors actually take the time to use the anti-bacterial wash the hospital provide? - this is where the bacteria gain entry.

Screening will remove most of the risk for the patient & medical staff, the rest is down to us the general public who visit and bring it in with us! If you don't want your relative to catch it, read the hygiene notices & wash your hands properly when visiting the ward they are on, this will dramatically reduce the risks to everyone.
monaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
Neve

I agree with you Monaghan, the hospital provides the anti-bacterial wash but it can't control if and when visitors actually use it. What's even worst, is that sometimes the staff of the hospital don't sanitize hands... And I think that in that case the hospital should know who those people are and report it. In this sense, the technology could help a lot. I've seen a video where a guy, Ben H., builds a dispenser featuring enhanced motion sensors, blinking LEDs and an amplifier, which gives hospital staff and patrons an audible reminder to wash their hands. They also integrated a SD card to log motion detected data, and a clock to log the time of hand sanitization compliance or non-compliance. In this way the hospital would know exactly who has those bad habits and do concretely something.

Tags
hygiene, tork uk, work place