Go Back   Internet Business Forums > Design & Development

Old 05-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
david64

Default Time to Dump IE6 Compatibility?

I am currently making a start on a new site and I am seriously thinking about not making it compatible for IE6. I heard a while back that Youtube have dropped support for the browser and MS don't even do it, but most web developers are seemingly still supporting it.

I checked out my Analytics and found that only 4% of my visitors are using it. However, I think that will go up a bit as I get more commercial visitors - in numbers if not as %.

What are the thoughts of those here? Drop or keep?

I am of the impression that IE6 users are more likely to be tech noobs and thus will need more hand holding as well.

David
david64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
monaghan

Default Re: Time to Dump IE6 Compatibility?

Be aware that often corporate visitors will have browser choice imposed by system builds and such things as internal legacy systems and therefore may not actually be able to use a later browser!

I'm far from being a noobie but often have to spend hours at a time with IE6 due to corporate systems limitations.
monaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
MarkD
Commercial Finance Broker

I would analyze your server stats and pick out visitors using IE 6.... Analyzing my own I have decided that the vast majority come from just a few IP address ranges and are robots / scrapers etc... i.e. not real visitors at all

so I no longer think about IE 6... this post has reminded me that I need to block some IP ranges!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
Brian Turner
Business Guru

Hey, nice to see you on the IB forums, david64.

As for compatibility issues - being lazy, I focus on Firefox and IE7.
Brian Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
david64

@ MarkD - Good advice. I'd imagine by the time I get the site up the IE6 brigade will have dwindled even more. I'm not too bothered if I loose a bit of traffic or the odd enquiry.

@Brian - You can never be on too many forums. Especially on one where the SEOs are more likely to be progressive than spammy.
david64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
Brian Turner
Business Guru

No probs - IB is on a bit of a back burner at present, at it currently belongs to one company I run that is supposed to be being bought out by my main company, but the accountants are dragging their feet a bit.

Which reminds me - will email them again.
Brian Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
underpressure

Compatibility is one of the headaches of web development, you might like to take a look at options like using GWT (google web toolkit) which should remove worries about compatibility - The idea behind GWT is that you develop in Java and this is compiled into native javascript, what's more it produces a separate javascrip file per browser - GWT is supposed to be compatible with IE6. When using a well tested 'framework' there should be graceful degradation of 'features' for older browsers.

Another alternative to GWK is ZK which is also java focused, the main difference is it's focused on running on the server-side rather than client side (it has a fixed javascript library which is downloaded to act as a 'client' layer to communicate with the server).

Other alternatives are the well tested javascript frameworks - here's the wikipedia list with compatibility (how updated I'm not sure)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ipt_frameworks
underpressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 01:46 AM   #8
bsfweb
Business Support Finder

regarding web design I am trying to circumnavigate the browers issues for all my redesign work, choosing styles and structure that works on ALL browsers....more to come......

Last edited by bsfweb; 29-10-2009 at 01:47 AM. Reason: typos
bsfweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
underpressure

Wink Re: Time to Dump IE6 Compatibility?

you got your work cut out
underpressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
brooke2

i find that tweeking for ie6 doesnt take too long. i do it because i think there are still loads of people out there with ie6, especially at my level, sme. they use the same computer they brought 6 years ago or more and because its not broke they dont want to 'fix' it. If they dont surf the web much and use their computers mainly for e-mails, they can plod along with ie forever.

i have a client that has a computer where none of the backgrounds show!!! AND all text is set to be huge. Nothing looks right on his pc. I said to him that he is technically the client from hell.... he cant see what im doing and so cant comment on it.

what i've yet to crack is formatting for the i-phone - i nip into the mac shop every now and then to check my sites out. But im due for an upgrade and when vodafone launch their i-phone im getting one, so i'll be working my designs around that too.