Go Back   Internet Business Forums > Design & Development

Old 05-11-2010, 03:26 AM   #11
barnakles
Web Developer

Default Re: Use CMS software for blog or develop own?

Meant to add - you dont have to host a WP site with WordPress, you can install it on any Apache server, that way you maintain full control over the server settings/code.
barnakles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
MrKap

Pros of going with Blogger - Stability, possibly a much cleaner user experience. They've invested alot into it, so it's going to be a good experience for most right? It will probably be more secure in some regards as well, but not impervious to hacking. Less Maintenance.

Downsides of going with Blogger - Less flexibility, if they make changes, you have to live with them, so there is no branching from the service, it is ultimately their service. A while back they shut down FTP access, and for some that could have really effected the way people interact with it. Who knows what could happen in the years to come. In some odd instances, a blog can get shut down due to infractions, whether they are justified or not. Maybe it getting back online might not be so easy.

Wordpress.org not the .com - Pros - large userbase, lots of support, and the code is open to modify, can get you up and running with more features faster. Low barrier to entry... Lots of plug-ins and options.

Wordpress.org not the .com - Downside - A moderate amount of Maintenance, and in some cases a much higher learning curve especially if you have to start hacking away at other people code. Compatibilities start to become an issue, especially if you have to upgrade wordpress to newer versions and chosen pieces of software are not longer supported, that includes themes as well, not just plug-ins... I've tried with wordpress, but since it is essentially patched into a core release, and modifications made stand to be overwritten or destroyed with future upgrades. It was ultimately a frustrating experience for me that I will not be repeating anytime soon. It also has a bad security track record that is not getting much better, it is high profile piece of software that gets picked on alot.

Creating your own Pros - Ultimate flexibility... you will have the opportunity to be able to anything without having a blog service like Blogger limit your capabilities, or a wordpress upgrade causing compatibility issues. No licensing issues should your project take off... So long as you can handle any licensing issues between yourself and your clients.

Creating your own Cons - Alot of work, a lot of maintenance, high maintence, the first time you do it, it will probably be done wrong, and you will want to start over, which can be a trap if you find yourself being a perfectionist and always starting over begins to prohibit you from moving forward. You will have difficulty competing with the more established softwares out there. That being said, I've made my own CMS, the first one was a disaster, the second one was not so bad but never completed, the third one is now a 4 or 5 year ongoing project with elements grabbed from the second one I did. I will never get it perfect, but no software out there is perfect.

If you go the handmade route, you might want to consider frameworks like Zend or Cake Igniter or Pear, although I never liked them, some people find the re-usability and modularity a plus for doing constant one offs.

The biggest mistake you can make is diving into someone elses code under the assumption that you can fix it or make it better. What it is written is really hard to change sometimes, so if you can't find the software you need, to work in the way you want, maybe your own is the best choice.

One Offs...

This didn't seem to be brought up, but doing one offs is perfectly acceptable as well, and the time to develop and deliver a final product can be much faster. The number of features will obviously be limited in comparison to an ongoing project of your own, or a wordpress or a blogger, but the complexity of the code will be less, and the flexibility will be easier to manage, and it might have a longevity that a wordpress or blogger might not have.

These are just opinions, others might differ, hope that helps...

Last edited by MrKap; 12-07-2011 at 11:13 AM.
MrKap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
MrKap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantic Fish View Post
We're not experienced in WP so I'm not keen to start using it on clients' sites until I know how to config it correctly (and in such a way that it will be fairly future-proof and secure).
Just read the whole thread now... Some of the larger hosts, Super Bowl Saturday host pre-approve the upgrades wordpress sends out. As in they do not support client side upgrades, as their servers simply may not be configured to handle it.

The most recent upgrade I have been watching closely. It seems in most instances the solution provided to those upgrading, is to remove all the plug-ins and revert to the default theme. That is obviously not an option for people servicing a certain type of client.

The plus side is, you don't have to upgrade wordpress, and you can treat it like a one off. But, eventually, php and mysql and the other technologies it is built on might change enough to break the install. So, if you are not in control of the hosting software, and host on a third party, not keeping up with security upgrades, and feature upgrades could eventually bite you.

Hope that helps.
MrKap is offline   Reply With Quote