Go Back   Internet Business Forums > Design & Development

Old 08-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
DJB

Default SEO development in startup necessary?

As the topic says.
I am about to develop a website along with my webdesigner, and we are currently going through the entire programming process and contracts. The contract includes a URL-friendly/SEO friendly development process as well, which will cost an additional price for about 2 weeks additional work for my web designer and programmer - however, is SEO friendly programming necessary in the startup process of the website or is it something you should add later on after testing has been done and the website has been launched?

It is an additional price of nearly 700 , so it is not the end of the world when the entire project is estimated to cost around 5.000, or what would you say?
DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:55 AM   #2
bumfluff

Default Re: SEO development in startup necessary?

Price kinda depends on what's being done. If it's just programming, I'd be curious as to what is being coded that isn't just good practice anyway. From a purely coding point of view, I don't think there's that much you can do for SEO that isn't just a normal part of building a decent quality site. I certainly can't think of what would take 2 weeks and 700 extra to implement..
bumfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Brian Turner
Business Guru

It's essential, really, to put in the SEO friendliness at the start to create strong foundations - otherwise it likely costs more and creates more disruption (ie, potential money loss) later on down the line.

In terms of cost - is this a custom coded platform? Simply that there are a lot of publishing platforms that have this already built in.

Or is it running on ASP?
Brian Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
WebBizIdeas.com

Hi,

Yes, creating an SEO blueprint for your site before hand will save you money in the long run. You want to make sure you do the following:

1. Keyword Research
2. SEO Blueprint Based off the research
3. Check to see if your coder really knows how to build an SEO friendly site; especially if it is dynamic with a Database.

There is a big difference knowing / planning the following basics (listed below)....and actually coding the site correctly so these features actually matter in the eyes of Google.

1. Page Titles
2. SEF URL's
3. Header (H1) tags
4. Breadcrumbs
5. Internal Link Structure
6. Meta Description

I would suggest wire framing your entire site out before you program it. This way you could give that wire frame to an SEO Architect expert to see if is built correctly.

Jeff
WebBizIdeas.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Red Eye Media

It should really be built in from the start. A small amount of extra work and thought before the build will make it easier to implement.
Red Eye Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
WebBizIdeas.com

HI,

After reading & posting my response to this topic I decided to put together a video series to help people who are building a website to make sure there site is "SEO friendly."

View Video Series: Search Engine Friendly Web Development

I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know if you feel I should add anything to the series.

Jeff
WebBizIdeas.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #7
swotin
Web Design Agency

SEO is the one you need think form the beginning, it's like creating brand.. do your research like target audience, market share and competitor analysis once you finalized then you can create a site structure properly (this is very important and it gonna affect your result forever) and then gather all the resources like images and content

My suggestion will be don't do optimization for certain keyword like page title, meta keywords that's just a old concept, search engine are getting smarter everyday in few years all these junk SEO service providers will be out of business.

My suggestion will be .. Go for SEMANTIC WEB concept (you can google it and learn about it in detail) using RDFa and Microformat you can teach the search engine about your business concept and related topic plus you can give Just meta description to teach search engine what is this page is about.

Once you done with on-page seo there are certain strategies to promote your website for certain keywords like Social media marketing, Link Building, Online PR, Content Marketing and offcourse reputation management.

Drupal 7 has this capability, hope you can utilize that feature

Cheers,

Sebasitan Grey

Senior Web Architect
Swotin Limited
swotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
MrKap

Yes... build for search engine friendliness as you go along... I can't see why not doing it right would be a good thing.

I know alot of people are sold on third party analytics... but logging the website referrals and transactions is an eye opener as well.

If the SEO is to be done later, perhaps it might involve some collaboration between yourself and the client, or perhaps it might require a few months of running the website to see what can be improved later.
MrKap is offline   Reply With Quote