Go Back   Internet Business Forums > Search Engine Optimisation

Old 23-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Brian Turner
Business Guru

Default PR is not an indicator of site worth

Following on from Tony's thread, I just want to make a point that Google PageRank - PR - or Toolbar PageRank as we should perhaps more properly call it, is not a relevant indicator of a site's worth.

Remember, a site's worth is determined by its business model and the success of that business model.

For example, over the years, I've had a couple of sites reached PR7 - heck, when IB here used to be Platinax it reached that for a few months. But through PR3-7 the traffic has always been relatively consistent.

My most successful website until recently was a "meagre" PR3, but made a few thousand dollars each month in Adsense because it was a quality site with a lot of traffic. Since the last PR update, it's gone up to PR4, but traffic has gone up more than 100k uniques per month.
Brian Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
MichaelWall

Default Re: PR is not an indicator of site worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Turner View Post
Following on from Tony's thread, I just want to make a point that Google PageRank - PR - or Toolbar PageRank as we should perhaps more properly call it, is not a relevant indicator of a site's worth.

Remember, a site's worth is determined by its business model and the success of that business model.

For example, over the years, I've had a couple of sites reached PR7 - heck, when IB here used to be Platinax it reached that for a few months. But through PR-7 the traffic has always been relatively consistent.

My most successful website until recently was a "meagre" PR3, but made a few thousand dollars each month in Adsense because it was a quality site with a lot of traffic. Since the last PR update, it's gone up to PR4, but traffic has gone more than 100k uniques per month.
Brian, I presume you mean has gone DOWN?
MichaelWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
monaghan

I've always wondered what the point is, I have a PR3 site for a town that appears 4th on the 1st page of results from Google with very little content in it yet (another of those "when I get round to it" sites ).

The only things above me are Wiki, the town council and the football club and they have far more content than me.
monaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
lin robinson
Throbbing Member

Definitely.

It seems similar, to me, to the relationship between the health of a company and the price of its stock. As near as I can tell, there is no relationship whatsoever, but people think there is. A case in point: Apple this year exceeded expectations on earning, but their stock dropped.
Old 23-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Brian Turner
Business Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWall View Post
Brian, I presume you mean has gone DOWN?
Whoops, edited - up.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
niiker345
Business Forums

well won't business be a direct resultant of traffic?
niiker345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
roymogg
Business Consultant

Smile Re: PR is not an indicator of site worth

Hi Niiker, Frank

What is important to me is the traffic sent to the site and to some extent high PR is a vote on what the web thinks of your site (link backs are found say) and traffic is indirectly related to this.

What is frustrating through are sites with a higher PR than mine with less content and fewer members that are by dint of PR are thought of as higher worth.

frustrating it is

Cheers

Roy at Bizface

Quote:
Originally Posted by niiker345 View Post
well won't business be a direct resultant of traffic?
roymogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Brian Turner
Business Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymogg View Post
Hi Niiker, Frank

What is important to me is the traffic sent to the site and to some extent high PR is a vote on what the web thinks of your site (link backs are found say) and traffic is indirectly related to this.

What is frustrating through are sites with a higher PR than mine with less content and fewer members that are by dint of PR are thought of as higher worth.

frustrating it is

Cheers

Roy at Bizface
I think this is entirely the problem - there is *no* correlation between the PR value showing on the toolbar, and traffic. I can state this as a fact, posting on a website that has been anywhere between PR4-PR7 over the past few years, yet the traffic always remained stable.

The little green bar is a badge - it's like Alexa traffic rankings and similar - absolutely useless for all intents and purposes, but great to show off when you have a big one.
Old 27-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #9
roymogg
Business Consultant

Post Re: PR is not an indicator of site worth

Hi Frank,

I think you're right - what we must not lose sight of is why are doing this activity (running forums whatever) because we want our content read or to participate in the Blogosphere.

There is an obsession about PR that is not warranted (it is driven by Google for their business reasons) - my view is focus on the content, do the right things and people will come - that's what we want after all.

Nice PR but an empty site can be a lonely experience.

cheers

Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Turner View Post
I think this is entirely the problem - there is *no* correlation between the PR value showing on the toolbar, and traffic. I can state this as a fact, posting on a website that has been anywhere between PR4-PR7 over the past few years, yet the traffic always remained stable.

The little green bar is a badge - it's like Alexa traffic rankings and similar - absolutely useless for all intents and purposes, but great to show off when you have a big one.
roymogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 12:11 AM   #10
Symonds

Pagerank is not everything for sure, but it is the single most clear indicator! There is nothing which better reflects a sites quality and when you consider that the Google algorithm takes into consider approx 200 factors for a PageRank value, it is as good as anything to go on.
Symonds is offline   Reply With Quote