Go Back   Internet Business Forums > Support

Old 30-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
Find Accountants

Default Re: Maximum Post to display link on Signature?

How do we add a signuature then? Can anyone explain please?

Thanks.
Find Accountants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
Brian Turner
Business Guru

I'm just looking to change signature permissions at present - signatures are still present on your profile page, but I'm looking to set usergroups so only established members can use a signature - help limit the impact of Indian spammers whjo sign up, make three posts, in order to set up signature links for ripped off clients.

Not quite finished yet, though.
Brian Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
Find Accountants

Where exactly is the signtures option? I've been trying to find it, but I can't see it anywhere.

Sorry if I'm just being thick, but if you could point out exactly where it is, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Ps. Just out of curiosity, why do you say Indian clients are ripped off? Are the companies based in India charging more then UK companies? The reason why I'm asking is because I also work for an Internet Marketing Company & some of my clients have also taken on the services of Indian based companies in the based, so I just assumed they were cheaper. Am I wrong?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #14
Brian Turner
Business Guru

I have never seen an Indian SEO company offer competent SEO services. They are barrel scraping morons, who if are cheap, it's because they are delivering crap. I've seen a number try and compete at UK pricing levels - even though they are still selling crap.

Seriously, India has a reputation for intellectual and scholarly development - but it seems these people are avoiding internet marketing, and instead opportunist Del Boys have jumped in instead.

Am aiming to get the signature links issue fixed very soon - just a few changes taking place.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #15
Find Accountants

Thanks for that Brian.

Please let us know when the signature link is fixed so that those of us with no signature can add one.

Please also advise if we are already able to add a signature link, but we just haven't figured out where! LOL!

Thanks.
Old 13-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #16
Brian Turner
Business Guru

Looks like the signatures are coming back.

I think I set it to only those with 50 posts using it though - too many Indian spammers posting a couple of junk posts to the site, just for sig links.

Sig links were great for link building until Sept 2003, because I used to experiment with them a lot - ever since then, though, they have bombed in influence in Google IMO.

Let me repeat that for the general audience - sig links stopped being good for ranking purposes six years ago, but since then, about the only real benefit is for setting up indexing pathways for new sites.

Just IHMO.
Old 13-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #17
Find Accountants

So what you're saying is that signature links are good if want google to index a new site, but not as good in the form of increasing the PR of a site?
Old 13-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #18
Brian Turner
Business Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Accountants View Post
So what you're saying is that signature links are good if want google to index a new site, but not as good in the form of increasing the PR of a site?
Pretty much.

Others may disagree, but I remember well the times you could turn a new site to an instant PR6 (well, within a month) just using your signature links if a member of a number of popular websites.

Nowadays, I would never recommend trying to use forum sigs for ranking purposes - maybe leading Google to a new domain, or helping flesh out a link profile for a site to be more natural.
Old 15-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #19
Find Accountants

Thanks for clarifying that Brian.

I guess sig links are still good for generating traffic if nothing else & if they help get a site indexed that's cool.

A shame they don't help with ranking anymore though, but is that only the ones with no follow or all sig links in general?
Old 22-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #20
Brian Turner
Business Guru

Sig links in general generate a very clear footprint that would be easy to devalue.

I guess to be clear I'm not saying sig links can't have an impact, as much as that they are so likely to be devalued as to be treated as of little worth for ranking.