Go Back   Internet Business Forums > Money & accounts

Old 21-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
dynamicsdave

Question what software do you use and why? how would you improve it if you could?

Hi everyone,

As I'm new here I'm wary of asking for your help without having already contributed to the forum but if you are able to help me then I hope that I'll be able to repay the favour soon!

I'm trying to reach out to small business owners to try and learn about the challenges they're facing with their current financial and business systems.

In my new role I have been tasked with putting together a product offering which can offer all the features that attract people to Sage, Quickbooks, etc., whilst also addressing any issues or features which small businesses feel are overlooked in the current market offerings. These may be features which you feel you need as your business is outgrowing your current software, or simply features which would just make your life easier, either way I am eager to hear any of your suggestions however simple or complex!

Many thanks in advance

Dave
dynamicsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
monaghan

Default Re: what software do you use and why? how would you improve it if you could?

In terms of Sage (not used QB for a very long time), it is not user friendly to the non accountant and the ongoing running cost (they're still sending me invoices for SageCover!) is a high outlay. The base versions of Sage & QB do not have API's so 3rd party connectivity / automation is not available without a very large expense for software.

I would suggest that the average small business owner wants to spend time on business rather than accounts and needs a simple facility to invoice, run mandatory reports like VAT, end of year tax returns, simple payroll, validate these and have them submitted to the relevant on-line systems with a few mouse clicks leaving us more time to do the "real business".

Something like Kashflow is probably about one of the simplest I've used but has a great API to allow people to integrate to it. I now have 2 systems with "hands free" billing in place and a 3rd in the later stages of development.

In the current climate with people loosing jobs and with the ease of use of ebay and similar systems, there are probably going to be more and more very small businesses taking a punt on Internet business success, so a simple system that can hook into ebay, Amazon (or any 3rd party API), bank / PayPal / other pay system and do the VAT, Payroll and year end will probably be well received.
monaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
dynamicsdave

Default Re: what software do you use and why? how would you improve it if you could?

hi monaghan thanks for the feedback! especially interesting are your comments about hooking into ebay, amazon and paypal, that's something I hadn't considered but a very good idea.
dynamicsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
monaghan

No problem, I'll take 10% ongoing revenue as my consultancy fee
Old 14-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
monaghan

Dave, any further feedback?
Old 23-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
Gomage
Business Forums

The most pupular platform for online busines is Magento. There are module to Magento allowing make shopping cart perfect.

For example GoMage LightCheckout is GoMage LightCheckout module is one page checkout allowing to automatically update prices, taxes and totals when choosing Shipping/Payment method; update shipping rates when customer chooses Country, State/Province, Zip/Postcode, City; automatically update Payment methods when customer chooses country in Billing address; automatically update Shipping methods when customer chooses country in Shipping address; automatically detect user's country with GeoIP technology; enable/disable/sort fields like Company, Country, City, Telephone, Fax, Region, Street or Postcode; enable/disable checkbox for newsletter subscription/ terms and conditions; add the gift messages for the order; leave a comment for the order; set a default shipping method/payment method

Gomage Advanced Navigation
is designed to optimize and improve navigation on your online Magento store. Ajax filter integrated in the extension allows your customers easily to sort off unneeded categories, attributes, products and find what they are looking for quickly. GoMage Advanced Navigation with integrated ajax refresh currently selected data in the field promptly. Your customer enjoys shopping rather than waiting for the whole window to be refreshed.

GoMage Feed Pro will allow you to submit your product data to multiple shopping engines: Google Base, Yahoo! Store, eBay, PriceGrabber, Shopzilla, DealTime, Froogle, Kelkoo, Nextag, Shopping.com, ShopBot.ca, PriceCanada.com and many more... Once updated in administration panel, information will be changed automatically in all the online stores you are registered. Supported formats: csv, txt, xml.

Have a high sales!
Gomage is offline   Reply With Quote